If you have an upcoming appointment for your dental procedure with Dr. Peter Alfano, you’ll want to make sure to adhere to the pre-anesthesia instructions below to allow your procedure to go as smooth as possible:
- Get a good night’s rest before your appointment.
- DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING 8 HOURS PRIOR TO YOUR APPOINTMENT (this includes water, gum, hard candy, etc.) ALSO, DO NOT DRINK ANY ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES 24 HOURS PRIOR TO YOUR SURGERY DAY! DOING SO WILL RESULT IN THE CANCELLATION OF YOUR SURGERY.
- After general anesthesia or IV sedation you cannot drive, therefore be sure that an adult family member or friend is available to drive you home. THE PERSON DRIVING YOU YO THE APPOINTMENT MUST STAY IN THE OFFICE DURING THE ENTIRE PROCEDURE. THIS ALSO MEANS THE DRIVER IF IT IS NOT THE SAME PERSON.
- Wear a short-sleeve shirt/blouse so your blood pressure may be monitored.
- if fingernails are long, they must be trimmed short and all fingernail polish removed.
- No ponytails or hairpins.
- Do not wear sandals or flip-flops.
- Do not wear contact lenses.
- No tongue rings.
- Asthmatics must bring all inhalers.
- A female who may be pregnant and undergoing general anesthesia or IV sedation can run significant health risks for her fetus. On the morning of your procedure, you will be required to sign a release form stating that you are not pregnant. If there is a possibility that you may be pregnant, it is recommended that you perform a pregnancy test the morning you are scheduled for anesthesia of IV sedation. If you find that you are pregnant, please call our office.
IF YOU SHOULD DEVELOP ANY COLD SYMPTOMS, CALL OUR OFFICE, WE MAY NEED TO RESCHEDULE.
If you have further questions or would like these instructions on a PDF or paper copy, please call our office at 717.551.1511.